Sunday, January 22, 2012

50's Prime Time Cafe at Hollywood Studios

To complete my dining adventures in Disney World, I want to share my experience at 50's Prime Time Cafe at Hollywood Studios. We stepped in and I immediately felt like I was a character in a 1950's sitcom. To start, the host called us by saying "Salas kids....time for dinner!" and took us to a table in a kitchenette-like area that was nostalgically decorated with a cool-looking black and white TV at one end. I, of course, was sending a quick text on my cell phone and the host gave me two options...either put it away to engage in family conversation or risk having it confiscated. I looked at him and thought I had just stepped into "Father Knows Best"; regressing back to my teenage years and getting some straightening out from my dad - all of course in a good-natured, funny way. I liked it! So, after putting the phone in my purse, I settled into my 50's table, and sat back to enjoy some old-time TV favorites, like "Dennis the Menace", while I waited for the waitress to stop by. Turns out she was our "Cousin Quinn", (I guess from a side of the family we didn't know we had) and she'd be bringing us our food, but we had to set the table ourselves (we couldn't very well expect her to do everything around here). She was really funny, going over some of the dining behavior she expected from us (no elbows on the table, etc.) and then she gave us the menu.

Blue Claw Crab Cake
Coke Float
I looked through the appetizers and saw what I wanted on the spot: Blue Claw Crab Cake. It was a lump crab cake, served on succotash with bacon, chili sauce, crispy onions and lima beans. Three words to describe it: Mmmm Mmmm Good!!! We ordered a second one because it truly tasted amazing. I looked around and saw another customer had ordered a float that looked so inviting I had to have it. So, I asked Cousin Quinn for a Coke float. (I'm not a fan of Root Beer). Delicious! Really thick with lots of ice-cream.

Grandma's Chicken Pot Pie
For an entree, she suggested we try a Sampling of Mom's Favorite Recipes which brought three of the signature staples here: Crispy Fried Chicken, Fork Tender Pot Roast, and Traditional Meatloaf with all the fixings. Being the rebel that I am, I decided I wanted to go a different route. I ordered Grandma's Chicken Pot Pie, which was a creamy cheese mixture of chicken, mushrooms, carrots, celery, onions, and peas topped with a flaky pastry. I'll tell you, while the Pot Pie wasn't bad, it wasn't too flavorful and the chicken wasn't seasoned enough for me. You gotta listen to your relatives!

Aunt Liz's Golden Fried Chicken
Dad's Traditional Meat Loaf
Because the rest of my party was more obedient, I had the indescribable pleasure of trying two of the three famous recipes in Mom's Sampling dish. They ordered Aunt Liz's Golden Fried Chicken, which was served with mashed potatoes, chicken gravy, and southern greens with bacon and Dad's Traditional Meatloaf, a blend of beef and pork topped with tomato glaze and served with mashed potatoes and green beans. I thought it might be too much food but Cousin Quinn said not to worry, she'd sit down in a couple of minutes and help us eat it. Hilarious!! Can somebody say, "I can't believe I ate the whole thing!" These two dishes were spectacular!! The chicken had so many flavors, it made my mouth water. The skin was crispy, the meat was tender and I just couldn't put it down! The meatloaf was mind-shattering. It tasted like it was made at home with the kind of secrets passed down from generation to generation. I enjoyed it so much, I actually had to get the recipe and am going to attempt to make it at home. I'll have to let you know how that goes later!




50's Boston Cream Parfait

I told Cousin Quinn I thought I was done; nothing else was fitting in my jeans, but she reminded me there was always room for dessert and being that I don't need much coaxing, I budged (and so did my pants!) I ordered the 50's Boston Cream Parfait, and closed my eyes to enjoy it. It had layers of chocolate fudge, vanilla ice-cream, and pound cake, all topped with whipped cream. Sweet, creamy and addicting are three words I can use to describe this dessert.

Dining at 50's Prime Time Cafe is a fun, memorable experience that will be enjoyed by the whole family. The service is superb and all the staff works hard to make the 50s experience complete. I loved their food and the decor is true to Disney's standards. Since I didn't have a chance to try their pot roast, I can't wait to return. When you come, make reservations ahead of time since this is a place many people want to dine in and gets filled quickly. Oh and don't forget to wash your hands before dinner...Cousin Quinn might just check if you did.


50's Prime Time Café on Urbanspoon

9 comments:

  1. All I ever have when I go there is the fried chicken because it is so delicious I just crave the flavor each time. And being the obedient individuals we are Nelson always orders the meatloaf and leaves satisfied. Great critique!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like fabulous comfort food. Love reading your thorough descriptions of these delicious meals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you enjoy reading about my culinary adventures! I truly enjoy sharing them with all of you...This was definitely a great place to enjoy some comfort food and the touch of humorous role play made it an all around fun experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love the 50's Prime Time. And I'm one of the Chicken eating folks. I just love it. Going again in Nov. Will have reservations as soon as I can put them in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you're going to have a great time! I think you can already reserve 180 days before the trip so you can probably put them in sometime in May. Please let me know how your adventure goes!

      Delete
  5. all I remember about eating there is this mean waitress telling me to keep my elbows off the table. Love a Quinn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...Yep that sounds like Cousin all-right. What is your favorite restaurant in the Walt Disney World resort area?

      Delete
    2. I know the real Quinn she is an awesome chick :)

      Delete
    3. Really? That's great!! Well please tell her we'll be back very soon since we loved her hospitality! And we'll make sure to wash our hands and eat all of our vegetables the next time we go. :)

      Delete