Thursday, May 24, 2012

Serendipity 3

You know how sometimes you lay there and dream of giant chocolate sundaes in pastel-colored hues? What...that just happens to me? Well that's just the feeling I got when I stepped into Serendipity 3 located at 1102 Lincoln Road in Miami Beach. The place has a cool retro meets chic meets Victorian feel to it that I've only experienced before in my dreams.  Think Tiffany-style chandeliers hanging over large Alice In Wonderland-like couches. That is why I found the name of this restaurant so appropriate. Serendipity means "the art of finding the pleasantly unexpected by chance or sagacity". That is what you'll find here: a pleasantly unexpected combination of great service, tasty food and whimsical desserts.

Originally from New York, Serendipity 3 started out in the 1950s as an over the top place for gigantic desserts that made you develop a decadent sugar rush.  Opening up in Lincoln Road about 4 months ago, Serendipity 3 has brought Miamians its charming ambiance and rich, delicious desserts - along with a full dining menu, brunch menu, happy hour and bar. You can pretty much sit back at any time of day and enjoy your socks off!


Heavenly Fast Lane

I went for dinner and absolutely loved the place from the moment I walked in.  Their cocktail menu is so creative and fun, I just knew I had to have one of their Serendipi-tinis. They had catchy names and even catchier ingredients: Cotton Candy, Cake and Heavenly Fast Lane. After an in-depth consultation with my super knowledgeable (and awesome I might add) waiter, Brian C, I decided to go for the Heavenly Fast Lane; a sweet concoction made with Vodka, a muddled mix of strawberries and kiwi, and finished off with cranberry and lime juices. My oh my, it was Heavenly indeed!

Tropical Tuna Tacos

Close-up of Tacos
Crab Artichoke Dip
A few sips later and on we went to the appetizers. We decided to start off with the Tropical Tuna Tacos and the Crab Artichoke Dip. The Tropical Tuna Tacos came with a deliciously prepared tuna tartar bathed in a tropical mango salsa, and were served in crunchy taco shells. The tuna was fresh and the mango salsa gave it a special kick that was totally awesome. To add another layer to the already outrageous flavor extravaganza, Brian suggested I dip the tacos in a bit of ponzu sauce. Be still my hungry heart, why didn't I think of that? Absolutely incredible! The Crab Artichoke Dip was another great choice. Creamy Maryland Jumbo Lump Blue Crab, seasoned and mixed with artichokes, was topped with melted cheese and served warm with crisp Ciabatta Toast Points. The blend was flavorful and succulent, and the portion quite generous. I couldn't help but overload the toast points with the luscious dip and slowly savor each bite.


Steak Frites
Crab Cakes
Wanting to have a little land and a little sea for entrees, we went for the "Don't Drop Your Skirt Steak Frites" and the Jumbo Lump Crab Cakes. Their version of the meat and potatoes combination was brilliant. The skirt steak was seasoned to perfection and masterfully grilled to retain its juiciness and texture; while the chimichurri sauce gave it an extra flavor. The sweet potato fries were amazing as well; crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. Addictive, to say the least. It didn't take me long to figure out this place knows its crab, because the crab cakes were a winner too. Two plump jumbo lump crab cakes adorned the plate, served with a tasty mustard slaw and roasted tomatoes with pommery mustard. The crabcakes contained nice creamy chunks of crab, blended together to create a well balanced rendezvous of flavors. I completely loved the texture and it truly went well with the earthy mustard slaw.


As I sat here eating each dish, I saw the parade of desserts going to the other tables. It was a vision of sweet temptations to my eyes! Sundaes, Milkshakes and Cakes... I want them all! But then I realized, how am I going to fit anything else in? Well, you don't come to Serendipity 3 and not have dessert. That's like going to New York City and not visiting Times Square. So I did what any self-respecting food lover would do. I unbuttoned the top two buttons of my pants and said "Bring It On!!"

Frrrozen Hot Chocolate

Just then I saw it; a mirage of sorts only it was real. It was the dessert I'd heard about only in urban legends but had never actually experienced. I knew then my adventure was about to reach new heights. I ordered the Frrrozen Hot Chocolate! A mix of several exotic cocoas and a variety of chocolates, blended together and topped with a cloud of whipped cream is what this champion of desserts is made of. It is so incredibly delicious and refreshing that you must, I repeat, you must try it for yourself to understand. I just had to close my eyes and slurp away; forgetting momentarily that I was in a public place.

Once this wonderful experience was over, I sat back and looked through their happy hour and brunch menus. They sounded phenomenal also. Happy hour plates and cocktails at $5 and $4 beers? Gotta try that. And their brunch menu left me planning my next visit. That's when you know a restaurant is good...when you walk out the door dreaming about the next time you walk in.


For more information on Serendipity 3 or to make reservations, you can call them at 305 403-2210.


Serendipity 3 on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. YOU ARE VERY DESCRIPTIVE AND VERY FUNNY ALMOST EROTIC IN HOW TO EXPRESS YOUR SATISFACTION...
    YOU ARE VERY LUCKY IN NOT GETTING FAT ..YOU ALSO LOOKS VERY NICE AND HAPPY PERSON..
    YOUR COMMENTS ARE VERY HELPFUL. THANKS! I CAN'T WAIT TO GO TO SERENDIPITY..BY THE WAY...HAVE YOU SEE THE MOVIE PICTURE OF THAT NAME WITH JOHN CUSACK? IF NOT I RECOMMEND YOU TO AND RENT IT

    ReplyDelete