Sunday, August 12, 2012

Cheeseburger Baby

A few months ago, I was one of the lucky judges at a burger competition at Palmetto Bay Village Center. (Read about it at Battle of the Burgers at Palmetto Bay Village Center.) Over eight food trucks were serving up some original patties and we had to pick the tastiest one. This is where I first tried the delicious burger of the first place winner: Cheeseburger Baby. It turned out, that not only do they have a food truck, but they are also the oldest burger joint in South Beach,  located at 1505 Washington Avenue.


On a nice, sunny Miami afternoon I had a craving for a juicy burger. I figured I'd repeat the awesome experience I had at Palmetto Bay Village Center by visiting Cheeseburger Baby; this time at their restaurant on the beach. Meeting up with an old friend I hadn't seen in years, we ventured to the burger staple that is open daily till dawn. When you get a first look at the place, you're not really sure what to expect. Think hole-in-the-wall meets Hip-Hop DJ booth. It is small but cozy, with a friendly staff and a counter facing the open grill, where you can see your food being prepared. I learned later that they also have a backyard patio, but for lunch, we sat inside.


1/2 lb. Bacon Cheeseburger
Cheddar Cheese Fries
I already knew what I wanted to have: their award-winning 1/2 lb. Bacon Cheeseburger. All their burgers are served with only 100% Angus beef so I was excited to the core. After a few minutes, out came this juicy, boldly-flavored, hunka meat on a fresh, tasty bun, served with crispy bacon, cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, onions and chopped kosher pickles. Oh yeah baby, it was good! Of course, I had seen a couple of pictures of their cheese fries and I figured what the heck? I have an elliptical at home. So I ordered their Cheddar Cheese Fries and forgot all else. I can still taste them. Ladies and gentlemen, these fries are not topped with Cheese Wiz. They were bathed in real cheddar cheese; melted to perfection. Awesome!

Chicken Philly Wrap

Close-up of Chicken Philly Wrap
Onion Rings
To offset my reckless abandonment, my friend ordered a healthier alternative. She had the Chicken Philly Wrap. It was a nice combination of seasoned shredded chicken mixed with grilled peppers, grilled onions, and choice of cheese; topped with lettuce and tomatoes. Great taste without the guilt! Of course, she couldn't resist, and ordered a side of their Onion Rings. They were delicious, with a great balance of onion flavor and crispy coating. It goes without saying that she'll be joining me on the elliptical next week.


I noticed that there are several options on the menu for vegetarians, including a veggie burger, veggie grilled cheese sandwich and a veggie sandwich. It is great to know because I'll be making a visit back on a Meatless Monday to check that out. If you get a craving for a delicious burger that will make your eyelids roll back, make your way to Cheeseburger Baby on the beach, or keep an eye out for their food truck. You live on the beach but don't feel like driving anywhere? Relax, pick up your phone and call them. They deliver and it's free!  For more information, you can contact Cheeseburger Baby at 305-531-7300 or visit them online at http://www.cheeseburgerbaby.net/index.html.

Cheeseburger Baby on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment