Monday, April 15, 2013

Energy Kitchen - Coral Gables

There comes a time in our lives when we look in the mirror and say, "Whoa....is that where all those salted caramel chocolate cupcakes went?" And it's about at this time when we start looking for ways to count calories, points and prepare miracle shakes to drink three times a day. I don't know about you, but most of the time I miscount (intentionally or otherwise), I get bored of eating the same frozen food for a week, or it just becomes too much work. (Much easier to eat a juicy burger and feel guilty afterward.) However, I found something easier that tastes great and while I was a bit skeptical at first, I must say I was pleasantly surprised. Have you been to Energy Kitchen, located at 2626 Ponce De Leon in Coral Gables?


They haven't been open very long so I wanted to find out more about Energy Kitchen. It turns out they have other locations in the United States, most of which are in New York, and offer guilt-free meals that are always grilled, baked or steamed. At under 500 calories a pop for each menu item, you can control your caloric intake much easier than counting a bunch of numbers, and it isn't packed with sodium (or other mystery ingredients). I figured, what can I lose (except a couple of pounds) so I paid them a visit.


The first thing I noticed was their slogan "Fast Food Doesn't Have To Be Fat Food." Yeah, yeah I'll be the judge of that. My pet peeve with low-fat, reduced-calorie food is that many times, it tastes like cardboard and it leaves you hungry. I eat healthier but I sacrifice flavor. No bueno for me. I looked at the menu board above the register and saw it included salads and wraps, better burgers, fit fries & sides, and smart shakes. It was lunchtime, so I ordered a Chicken Fajita Wrap, consisting of a Cajun seasoned grilled chicken breast with peppers, onions, fat-free cheddar cheese, salsa and fat-free sour cream in a whole wheat wrap. (356 calories) I was a little worried with all the "fat-free" in that description but in the name of bathing suit season, I went for it. As a side, I ordered the Baked Sweet Potato Fries (237 calories) and of course, washed it all down with a Diet Coke.


Holy skinny jeans, it tasted fantastic! If I hadn't known that all the ingredients were healthy and low in fat, I would've never guessed it. The chicken was juicy and the whole combination tasted like a regular, flavorful fajita minus the big butt afterward. I didn't miss the fried part of the sweet potato fries and they complemented my wrap well. Who would've known? These people can cook up a nice meal that's healthy. What I noticed most when I was finished was that I was satisfied, (didn't even get to try a shake) but yet I didn't feel that overly-full, bogged-down feeling you get when you overeat an unhealthy, fat-filled meal. I can do this.


Another plus is that Energy Kitchen delivers. So if you can't get out to them, they'll get out to you. (Of course if you're in the Coral Gables area, maybe you should walk there and add a little exercise to the mix.) Regardless, if you're looking for a healthy alternative that will make keeping your weight in check easier and will not compromise on the pleasures of eating, Energy Kitchen is the place to go. For more information, you can call them at 305 442-9115 or visit them online at http://www.energykitchen.com/.


Energy Kitchen on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment