Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Brother Jimmy's BBQ

 
Back in November, I did a post on Brother Jimmy's BBQ located at 900 S. Miami Avenue in the Mary Brickell Village. I hadn't had a chance to return since, and with a craving to put some south in my mouth, I headed over to the sports fan hangout for a proper lunch to fuel my day.


 
The décor at Brother Jimmy's still gives me a kick. The laid-back atmosphere and the casual ambiance makes you feel like you're in college again. (Oh, how I wish!) On this sunny afternoon, the many screens along the walls were televising a game and even though I had no clue who was playing, I immediately began to cheer when someone scored. It was a great opportunity to high-five the buff cuties around me.

Guacamole and Chips
But back to the food. Last time I was here, I went all out on the mind-blowing drinks, but at 1:00 o'clock in the afternoon, I figured I'd scale it back on the alcohol and focused on the meat instead. To start off, we ordered the Guacamole and Chips. I know I have an intense fondness for anything with avocado in it, but I have to say, it made the cut. Creamy and with the perfect pinch of salt, we both ensued in a discreet chip-grabbing fight to the finish. You know the kind; where you engage the other person in frivolous conversation just to distract them so you can dip and grab faster than they do.
 
Combo Platter with Brisket and Wet Ribs
 
Tomato & Avocado Salad
Baked Beans & Pulled Pork
Knowing the entrees would  be hefty, we didn't order another appetizer and went straight to the meat of the situation. We had a Combo Platter of  Brother Jimmy's Original "Wet" Ribs and Sliced Brisket, and a Po' Boys Blackened Catfish Sandwich. The ribs were juicy, smoked then bathed with their original BBQ sauce and practically fell off the bone. I love to take my taste buds on a joy ride, so I squeezed some signature Carolina BBQ sauce on them and let loose. The brisket was just as delicious. I actually tried both the marbled and the lean cut. While the marbled was more moist, I personally preferred the lean. However, I recommend trying them both because it's really a matter of what you're in the mood for. The Po' Boys sandwich was a great choice as well, served on French bread with lettuce, tomato and cajun mayo, the catfish was tender and flavorful. Each dish came with one side, so we ordered the Mashed Potatoes and the Baked Beans & Pulled Pork. The mashed potatoes had a nice, herb taste to them; adding a milder, comfort food characteristic to the dish, while the Baked Beans were bold and invigorating. They had a special, smoky, homemade kick to them you could taste from the very start. Back to me loving avocado, I noticed there was a Tomato & Avocado Salad on the menu and batting 100 with the guacamole, I decided to try it. The salad was light and refreshing; a perfect complement to balance out the meat. We also had a taste of their French Fries because well, who could resist some fried potatoes? I can tell you I noticed some definite changes in the food. While it was good the last time I went, I found they packed a lot more flavor on this visit.



I was ready to roll over and take a nap, but I had just enough room for a little something sweet to end the meal. (And I'm not talking about those buff cuties although that would've been satisfying also.) We went for a spectacular, firework-inducing Crack Pie. (You know like the ones from Fireman Derek's World Famous Pies?) The spoon sunk ever so slowly into it, like a pleasure-filled descent into a caramel tasting triangle of quick sand. The ice-cream on the top, the cream on the side, the drizzle of deliciousness - they all came together in perfect harmony and we were the mesmerized audience. Seriously, if you don't have one of these on your visit to Brother Jimmy's, well then you really weren't there. Totally foodgasmic!

Crack Pie

We walked out of there happy, satisfied and with plans to return. They recently started offering a Summer Saturdays Brunch called Kegs & Eggs that sounds outrageous. It includes all-you-can-drink specials, along with original BBQ brunch items and a DJ. As if that weren't enough, Brother Jimmy's BBQ has just launched a food truck! Talk about putting some south in yo mouth the mobile way. For more information on Brother Jimmy's BBQ, visit them online at http://www.brotherjimmys.com/locations/miami.


No comments:

Post a Comment