Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Fornaro Miami

We all have a story about how politics hit home for us. Mine happened a few weeks ago when I was heading out to check out a relatively new Italian place in Coconut Grove called Fornaro, located at 2750 SW 26 Avenue.




We were running a bit late (don't judge me, it was 5:00 traffic) and just as we got to US1, everything stopped. I noticed a police car blocking the entrance to the street and decided to just drive up to the next entrance. Another police car welcomed us, and now my stomach was beginning to complain. Was there  an accident or was there something important going on that was impeding me from making it to my carb-filled reservations? After waiting around for a few minutes, then getting off my car to talk to the cop, I got my answer. Vice President Joe Biden was in town and was going to be driving down US1 in an unknown number of minutes, and everything was closed. What? Hold off the Secret Service and the motorcade, I'm hungry, and there is pasta calling out to me just across the street. Needless to say, the cop didn't move, we had to wait it out, and eventually, I got to snap a picture of a waving hand inside a black sedan, who I assumed was Biden. Thanks….

At any rate, we made it to Fornaro just in time to relax and sip on a glass of red wine while we perused the menu. Fornaro is a laid-back, casual restaurant, offering brick oven pizzas and authentic Italian dishes with a modern twist. The menu has a nice variety of Italian favorites including salads, sausage bread (their house specialty) and Polpettone (which I just had to have).


Burrata Salad

We began our adventure with their Burrata Salad, consisting of fresh burrata and tomatoes over a tangy, homemade sauce.  It was refreshing and light.  The entrees, we chose were the Risotto Funghi With Rack of Lamb and their signature Polpettone.  The mushroom risotto was delicious, served with truffle oil and a flavorful pistachio-crusted rack of lamb. We enjoyed every bite. 


Funghi Risotto with Rack of Lamb

The Polpettone definitely lived up to its hoopla. Simply presented, the Italian meatloaf was prepared using their special recipe of ground filet mignon, mozzarella cheese, fresh tomato sauce and parmesan cheese. It was a total taste sensation definitely worth ordering again.


Palpation

We ended the experience with one of my favorite desserts: the Tiramisu. I was completely enamored with the Espresso and Frangelico soaked lady fingers and the decadent whipped mascarpone cream. Most definitely a very nice ending to a relaxing evening that began with a little bit of politics.


Tiramisu

If you're looking for an unpretentious spot for a quiet dinner, away from the hustling and bustling dining scene, check out Fornaro. For more information, visit their website here or call them at 305-668-8888.



Fornaro Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment