Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Ocean 2000 - An Evening Under the Moon

Ever wonder what the stars say about you? Or if that person you just met on Match.com is "The One"? (I know... you don't do Match.com) Well, imagine finding out over an amazing dinner just steps from the ocean, as you listen to the waves crash against the sand. That is the setting at Ocean2000's monthly dining series "An Evening Under the Moon". Ocean 2000, located in the luxurious Pelican Grand Beach Resort at 2000 N. Ocean Boulevard in Fort Lauderdale, is hosting this dinner, during each month's natural full moon cycle, featuring a special menu created by their Executive Chef Todd Lough, and a personalized table-visit from South Florida's top astrologer.

Executive Chef  Todd Lough
As always, a dinner experience here is truly dynamic. Ocean 2000 is the only restaurant in Fort Lauderdale that is practically sitting on the sand, just steps away from the water. Enjoying the decadent food and luscious drinks on their sweeping veranda, while the full moon glistens on your face, is enough to make a Love Connection happen immediately. (Too bad I was alone - but not for long according to my new best friend, the astrologer.) Another fun element Ocean 2000 adds to the evening is the opportunity to gaze at the moon up close with over-sized telescopes strategically placed on the deck.

Even on a cloudy day, the view is breathless

Amouse Bouche
Pelican Brief
We started off the evening with an Amouse Bouche of a Caramelized Red Onion and Cabrales Blue Cheese Tart. It was the perfect bite to awaken the palate. I paired it with my favorite cocktail at Ocean2000, the Pelican Brief, a refreshingly sweet concoction of veev, pomegranate juice and blueberries, and I was instantly feeling like Neil Armstrong.  For appetizers, there was a choice of Grilled Octopus Salad, Blue Crab Fritters and Fresh Burrata. I chose the Grilled Octopus Salad. It was out-of-this-galaxy (no pun intended). The salad was served with baby greens, red pepper garbanzo puree, toy box tomatoes, and micro cilantro, then drizzled with aji amarillo vinaigrette.


Grilled Octopus Salad

Riesling Granita
Pan Seared Florida Snapper
Before we were served the entrees, we were given an Intermezzo to cleanse our palates. It was a Riesling Granita that refreshed our taste buds and had us ready for our next course in seconds. The choices on the menu were Pan Seared Florida Snapper, Char-Grilled Filet of Beef and Grilled Lamb Chops. I was in the mood for fish so I went for the Pan Seared Florida Snapper. The tender, flavorful fish was served over grilled ramps, compressed cucumbers, fingerling potato confit, garlic cured black olives, citrus poblano beurre blanc and crispy fried capers. It was cosmically delicious. I looked over to the entree next to me, the Grilled Lamb Chops, and I immediately started to salivate. I think my friend noticed because she offered a bite. It was an amazing flavor explosion of juicy lamb chops served with crushed Peruvian potatoes, a white asparagus ceviche, and garlic chips over a pool of cilantro demi glace.

Grilled Lamb Chops
Chocolate Raspberry Parfait
Passion Fruit Panna Cotta
Already in a galaxy of gastronomical proportions, I anxiously awaited dessert. As I did, I admired the beautiful full moon and hoped the predictions I was told would come true. I don't know if I'll find my love match as quickly as the stars said but I can tell you I was definitely in lust when I dipped my spoon into my Chocolate Raspberry Parfait. A sweet chocolate indulgence, it was served with an almond biscotti. I also enjoyed a taste of the Passion Fruit Panna Cotta, topped with pineapple confit. Both were refreshingly light endings to a most mystical meal.



For more information or to make reservations for the next An Evening Under The Moon, visit their website at Pelican Grand Beach Resort.


No comments:

Post a Comment