Monday, November 12, 2012

NoVe Kitchen & Bar - New Fall 2012-Winter 2013 Menu


There is one place that I always get excited about visiting. I don't know if it's the friendly, enthusiastic service, or the incredibly creative and delicious cuisine, but a meal at NoVe Kitchen and Bar is unequivocally in a class by itself.  Located in the Opera Tower at 1750 N. Bayshore Drive, it is a chic, sushi restaurant that provides an unparalleled glimpse into authentic Asian cuisine with a local twist. Offering everything from traditional Japanese cuisine, to more unique and original creations, NoVe's menu is extensive and irresistible. About six months ago, I did a post on my outstanding dinner adventure at NoVe, (Read all about it here at NoVe Kitchen and Bar) and more recently had the opportunity to sample their new Fall 2012-Winter 2013 Menu.


With the amazing Chef Hiro Terada

Chef Hiro Terada's expertise and originality continue to amaze me. Although his background and knowledge are etched in both his traditional and contemporary Tokyo style cooking, I have yet to encounter such a successful bridging of Japanese and American favorites. One taste of his dishes, and it's easy to see that Chef Terada gets his inspiration from flavors around the world. And after tasting several dishes from the new menu, it is obvious a lot of thought and work went into putting it together.


Red Rose of Texas
P's Rock Shrimp
There were so many choices, I didn't know where to begin; especially when I saw my old favorites calling out to me! I sipped on a Red Rose of Texas while I studied the amazing menu.This mind-blowing concoction was made with Svedka Vodka and fresh strawberries, symple syrup, lemon juice, Domaine de Canton Ginger Liqueur and apple syrup. It was a sweet prelude to the main attraction.  Finally, we decided to start with P's Rock Shrimp, tender shrimp morsels lightly battered with oba, deep fried and then drizzled with spicy mayo. They were incredible! The seasoning of the shrimp and the slightly spicy/sweet flavor of the oba tickled the tongue, while the spicy mayo added another layer of deliciousness to the experience.  I was devouring them one after the other without saying a word.


Crispy Rice Spicy Tuna
Crispy Rice Poppers
Next we had two more items from the "Beginnings" portion of the menu that caught our attention. They were both made with crispy rice cakes and sounded tantalizing. The first was the Crispy Rice Spicy Tuna. Generous portions of spicy tuna drizzled with spicy mayo, scallions and tobiko sat on a crispy rice cake. The combination of textures from the tender tuna and the rice cake made for an appetizing duo to the palate. The other dish was the Crispy Rice Poppers. While similar to the previous dish, the crispy rice cake on this one was topped with fresh, tasty Scottish salmon, cream cheese, scallions, spicy mayo, a sliver of jalapeno and a popping delight of ikura. Just imagine this sensation: biting into the rich and flavorful taste of the vibrant salmon, and combining it in your mouth with the smooth cream cheese. The spicy mayo works its way into the crispy rice cake, while you finish the moment with a slight popping of the ikura. Yes...time was momentarily suspended.


Monster Roll
One Sumo Roll
Tough act to follow but I had total confidence. We ordered two of their new sushi rolls: the Monster and the One Sumo. I swear these were the biggest rolls I've ever seen in my life! Not only were there 10 pieces in each of these two rolls, but each piece was huge! The Monster Roll was made with shrimp tempura, crunchy crab, avocado, asparagus and panko on the inside and topped with gigantic shrimp, sesame seeds, scallions and spicy mayo. It was an outrageous combination of flavors and textures. That's the kind of monster I'd love to eat everyday! The One Sumo Roll was filled with tuna, salmon, hamachi, crunchy crab, avocado and cream cheese. It was superb and I literally had to cut each piece in half in order to eat it.


Close up of One Sumo Roll

Sauteed Mushrooms
Pasta Nove
I'll admit I had to sit back a few minutes to digest some of the food in order to continue but my desire to taste these extraordinary new dishes outweighed the fullness of my tummy. To sample something totally different, we continued with the Pasta Nove. Even here, Chef Terada brings out his imagination. Instead of the traditional sauce, the pasta was bathed in a creamy soy Alfredo sauce, red pepper, mushroom and fresh oba, then topped with a perfectly seasoned grilled skirt steak. The smoky flavor of the meat enriched the pasta, making it finger licking good, while the unique ingredients of the sauce stirred the senses.  I also tried the Sauteed Mushrooms, a magical mix of Shemeji, Portabello and Button mushrooms, sauteed with red peppers, onions and a homemade sauce savory enough to make you want to drink it. I loved it.


Cedar Planked Salmon

Although I didn't think I could try anything else at this point, there was one dish that looked and sounded so remarkable, I didn't want to wait until my next visit to try it. I took a deep breath and ordered the Cedar Planked Salmon, served with fresh vegetables. If salmon could be royalty, this would be the king. This amazing dish consisted of a Scottish Salmon fillet, marinated in sweet soy sauce, ginger, garlic and other herbs, then roasted on a cedar plank. The wood naturally gives the salmon a smoky flavor and it retains a flaky, tender texture that is absolutely unparalleled. It is one of those experiences you'll want to repeat over and over again.

Avocado Bon Bon

Wow! As I write this post, I can't  believe the amount of food we consumed. This is what happens when I go to NoVe. There are so many incredible dishes to try, it takes several visits to just scratch the surface. I want to add a dish to this post that is not part of the menu, but rather part of a selection of exclusive dishes available only to those fans who like their Facebook Page. It is the Spicy Tuna and Avocado Bon Bon.  I was floored by its presentation and taste. You know I'm an avocado fan so this was right up my alley. The spicy tuna was covered in creamy avocado and the best way for me to describe it is as the Crown Jewel.  I thought I'd let you guys know about it because it is a definite must have. Just remember to like their Facebook Page at Nove Kitchen and Bar  for this and other exclusive dishes.

For more information on NoVe Kitchen and Bar or to make reservations, you can call them at 305 577-8200 or visit them online at http://www.novekitchen.com/.

2 comments:

  1. I love this place. I went during ladies night and I was pretty impressed how my bubbly never ran out =).
    www.grove-living.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way. Every time I go
      I walk out with a smile on my face It's amazing!

      Delete