Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Peacock Garden Bistro - A Hidden Oasis in Coconut Grove

The date was 4/20 and while that may not be very important to some, to others it may be code for something else. I will let you Google what that is but for now I will tell you this... I was in the mood to go spend a nice evening out on the town in Miami with some good food to savor and a fun, honey stick -filled concoction in my hand.



I did just that at Peacock Garden Bistro in Coconut Grove. If you've spent any time at all in the 305, you are familiar with Peacock Garden Bistro. Located right in the heart of the oldest neighborhood in Miami, at 2889 McFarlane Road, the charming and quaint restaurant has got an old Coconut Grove vibe.  



Most people immediately think about the lush garden and beautiful breeze-filled setting where many of Peacock Garden Bistro's patrons share a sangria, or enjoy in a delectable risotto. But many don't know there is a walk-down-memory-lane just steps away in the interior of the restaurant. Journey into a bit of history as you walk in, and enjoy the pictures on the wall that pay tribute to a Miami of the past, with strong influences of Bahamian and Cuban culture. Pictures of Desi Arnaz, Lucille Ball and Presidents of long ago tell a story of a different iconic time.





Although you'd think the restaurant is named after all the peacocks that love to roam Coconut Grove, the truth is the restaurant is actually named after an influential pioneer family of the 1800's: the Peacocks, who were instrumental in developing the Grove, from school houses to inns. 

Peacock Garden Bistro also pays homage to the Munroe family, also from the 1800's, who were early residents of the Grove and contributed immensely to its growth as well. Ralph Middle Munroe, whose home was what is now known as the Barnacle Historic State Park, was married to Eva Amelia Hewitt Munroe. She is buried in the oldest marked grave in Miami-Dade County right on the side of the restaurant; her resting place protected by a fence.

Now after all this history and fun facts, am I ever going to get to talking about the food and drinks here at Peacock Garden Bistro, especially when I went on 4/20? Yes I am. But I think it is so cool that the place is located in such a historical and important part of the city I call home, that I can't not let you in on this before getting to the grub. By the way... ask one of the managers for a tour when you go, and they would love to talk to you about all the pictures and give you a look at Coconut Grove, circa the 1800's and early 1900s.


We started off the evening with a couple of cocktails that were designed to give us a bit more excitement and fun. The first was a Jamaican libation especially prepared for the night and its celebrations, complete with a honey hemp stick for an added kick. The Classic Mojito was smooth and refreshing, and jump started the experience with all its Cuban glory.



Next up I ordered what I will always order if it's on the menu: The Tuna Tartar.  A flavorful combination of soy, ginger, cucumber, and sesame all danced around a stack of fresh tuna and avocado, drizzled with ponzu. Did I mention I didn't share?



The menu had so many entrees I wanted to try, I had a hard time making up my mind. I was in the mood for seafood and several plates called out to me. Would I have mussels, shrimp, fish, or scallops? Decisions are hard to make on an empty stomach. I did the obvious. I ordered the Grilled Seafood Platter and had it all. A beautifully arranged platter was brought to me minutes later, with everything I wanted and a side of jasmine rice. Another sip of my cocktail, and a bite of tender snapper later...



... we ordered the Bistro Burger. This dish was for my carnivorous counter part and it was delicious. Just imagine a juicy blend of sirloin and short rib, topped with all the fixins' and manchego cheese. It was hard to put down between breaths. The burger was served with a side of crispy fries that I must admit I stole quite a bit of when he wasn't looking.



Last but certainly not least, the appetizing desserts on the menu beckoned me to forego my better instinct of putting down the spoon, but did I listen? I... did.... not. I decided instead to make a compromise. Peacock offers regular-sized desserts and smaller versions (which are pretty big believe me) and we decided to share their Dark Chocolate Brownie.  (Please don't tell me you forgot this is my other weakness - chocolate). It was perfect: moist, warm and sweet. 


To give the fabulous meal an ending touch, we indulged in a new concept Peacock is trying out called the Cafecito... a shot of cafe with Frangelico, Bailey's and a lot of love.  Would I have another? I'd have four more... in a row.


This is me, after my meal, happy as a hippo... but smaller. If you haven't been to Peacock Garden Bistro, you are missing out. Go take your significant other, friends, family, child, or simply a solo meal for one, and bask in the nostalgic ambiance of Coconut Grove and Peacock. You'll be happy as a hippo you did. For more information, click here or call 305-774-3332.


No comments:

Post a Comment