Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Inkanto Peruvian in Fort Lauderdale - A True Incan Encanto Right Here At Home

One of the items on my bucket list is a trip to Peru. I want to hike Machupichu, stroll the streets of Cusco, what was once the capital of the Incan Empire, and explore the world's best food city: Lima. But while I wait for my dream to become a reality (and I save many many more pennies), I can transport myself there gastronomically, with places like Inkanto Peruvian, located at 1672 E. Oakland Park Boulevard in Fort Lauderdale. I follow their Instagram  feed and their pics were outrageous. Not only did the food look tasty but the presentation was amazing.

So since I love checking out new places and I had never been to Inkanto, we filled the tank with gas and made the trek from Kendall to Fort Lauderdale.  It was worth every mile, toll and enraged driver we got the finger from along the way. (I would never reciprocate). And if you haven't experienced it for yourself, then let me show you why you should.

Let's begin with the liquid portion of the feast: Pisco Sours. Have you ever been in that situation where you're drinking and it tastes so good, that all of a sudden you realize you've downed three drinks back to back without batting an eye? It takes you a few minutes to notice you are so relaxed that you don't care that you forgot to send those time-sensitive emails before leaving the office and you're not sure if you logged off of your computer or left your Amazon purchases on the screen. Of course you've been there. Well, these Piscos were that good - I mean that good.




One of the things I loved about the evening was that we embarked on a culinary feast of sorts sampling a whole lot of different Peruvian goodies. Let's begin with one of my personal favorites: the Causa. I've probably told you the origin of this dish before, but if I didn't or you don't remember, here it is. Wise Peruvian chefs have explained that according to history, the creamy mashed potato-like dish was born during the Pacific War in 1879 when Chile fought against Bolivia and Peru. The Peruvian army was going through a lot of hardships, and did not have easy access to food. The women began to collect potatoes and their distinct aji amarillo and created a meal that was easy and inexpensive: Causas. So they named it this way, because they did it for "the cause". Inkanto has a treat for both the sense of sight and for the sense of taste when it comes to their Causa Sampler. In just one appetizer you can savor all their causas: tuna, chicken, shrimp, octopus and crab.





Something else that is outstanding at Inkanto is the variety of Ceviches they offer. The menu lists about fourteen different ones, including the traditional fish, shrimp, tuna, clams and octopus, all marinated in your choice of Peruvian creams like Rocoto, Aji Amarillo, Morron and Botuero to name a few. If you're in the mood to share, and we were, you can try their sampler and give your taste buds a thrill.




The palate party doesn't end there. There are a whole lot more gastronomical experiences to explore and we didn't shy away at all. For example, I absolutely loved their Pulpo Anticuchero, grilled octopus in aji panda anticuchera marinade, served with golden potatoes, Peruvian corn and cheese. The octopus was very tender and each biteful sparked an explosion of flavors.




The Choritos a la Chalaca were a refreshing hit as well. Just think of slurping a steamed mussel topped with a traditional callao salad made with diced onions and cilantro. I know, I know, I'm making you salivate and there are people watching you.



As if these appetizers above aren't making you grab your keys to drive to Oakland Park Boulevard, how about these Mediterranean Octopus Anticucheros Tostones? Crispy meets creamy in this original dish.




And once you've done your appetizer damage, it's time to move on to the entrees. Just unbuckle the top buttons of your pants and don't hold back. For example, we loved, loved, loved the Black Squid Ink Risotto topped with seafood in yellow pepper cream.




And the ever-popular and traditional Lomo Saltado, the Peruvian version of stir-fried beef tenderloin, onion, tomato, cilantro and oriental spices, served with white rice and french fries also caused a stir. 



Right about now, you might have to unbutton the second button. Go ahead, I'll wait. Or better yet, just let it all hang out. I didn't have that problem because I wore my dinner mumu. But you really haven't enjoyed this feast properly if you don't end it with some decadent desserts. Because it's so hard for me to make decisions when it comes to selecting sweets, why not try them all (once again)? We indulged in the Suspiro Limeno, Peru's famous postre, consisting of a smooth, creamy caramel-like custard, crowned with a silky, merengue cloud. (Queue in the harps please). Then, we dabbled some spoonfuls of their Lucuma Cuatro Leches, which caused a spoon frenzy among us because no one wanted to be left behind, and finally, I experienced something I had never experienced before; the ChocoLucuma. Oh my...



The ChocoLucuma is made with the delicately-flavored tropical fruit native to the cool highlands of the coastal valleys of Peru, the Lucuma. Then this mousse is combined with the richness of chocolate, taking you to another level of ecstatic pleasure. It is nothing short of a spiritual encounter.




For more information, please buckle your pants and call Inkanto Peruvian for reservations at 954-533-9147. Buen apetito.








No comments:

Post a Comment