Thursday, June 27, 2019

Sala'o Cuban Bar and Pescaderia Brings Flavorful Cubaneo To Little Havana

Ernest Hemingway once said "I drink to make other people more interesting". The man was wise (of course... he lived in Cuba many years) . And Sala'o Cuban Bar and Pescaderia, in the heart of Little Havana, pays  homage to the famous and beloved writer through their food, cocktails and all around ambiance.

Located at 1642 S.W. 8th Street, the place certainly has a Cuban vibe with its live music, friendly staff and festive mood. The decor takes you back to a nostalgic time where opulence and a care-free attitude were the trademark of three very important C's: Cohibas, Croquetas and Cortaditos. Chef Jorge Mas is at the helm, preparing Latin and Caribbean dishes with a local twist, yet keeping tradition alive with special recipes dating back to his childhood.




As any proper Cuban would do, I started my evening with a traditional Mojito. It was bold, refreshing, and its combination of sweetness, citrus and herbaceous mint flavors complemented the rum: a truly perfect kick-off to summer.  There was a party going on at Sala'o while we were there, so the beat was energetic and happy. For a minute I thought I was sipping my Friday blues away somewhere between La Bodeguita del Medio in La Habana and El Floridita.


Mojitos

But let me take you through the food experience which was de pelicula y en colores, or in other words, outstanding. We started off with a Tira'ito,  a mouthful of ocean love comprised of raw mahi mahi, compressed pineapple, coconut lime, the Chef's puffed seasoned rice and herbal oil - their own version of leche de tigre. That's right... I know you're mouthing the word coñó right about now. I agree....... that sweet, salty and tart combination with a crunchy ending had me singing Guantanamera between bites.


Tira-ito

To continue with the sea, we tried some oysters. But these weren't your regular oysters. They were warm, and filled with escabeche emulsion and bread crumbs. A complete flavor surprise for the palate that mixed together temperature and texture to new levels. Just ask for a Tibiecita when you go.


Tibiecita

Next up we had the staple no Cuban menu can do without: Croquetas.  These weren't your regular croquetas either, and they weren't made with ham. They were grouper croquetas and so incredibly creamy that they almost started a fight between me and my dining buddy. You see, there were 5 and at first, I was being generous and leaving the last one for her. But, once I tasted that bechamel flavor in my mouth that lingered and reminded me of my younger days, I went for it. I took it. I squished it a little in my hand and I dared her to eat it after that. She didn't of course and I didn't regret it. I just dipped it in the mayonesa mojo and smiled.



Croquetas

Now it was time to hit up the entrees and Chef Mas recommended a few that didn't disappoint. The first was the Harina Con Cangrejo, a recipe developed by his grandmother and passed down to him. Beautifully presented in its own cazuelita, the Cuban cornmeal stew was made with fresh crabmeat  enchila'o style in a traditional sofrito, with a memorable kick. Estaba pa' chuparse los dedos......


Harina Con Cangrejo

Our second entree was the Curry Criollo, a medley of fried pieces of swordfish, carrots and onions, drizzled in an herbal curry sauce. Absolutely amazing and kept that Cuban Tropical Summer night experience going with its bold, passionate flavors.


Curry Criollo

We were pretty full at this point but there is always room for dessert so we shared one that sounded so interesting I just had to have it. It's called Fanguito, which translates to a little bit of mud. Oh my... give me all the fanguito you want. Check out this combination: burnt milk mousse, dark chocolate and toasted bread crumbs - all together in perfect harmony. If that doesn't take me back to me dipping pan tosta'o in chocolate caliente during summer vacation with my cousin, then I don't know what does. And it is served with a piece of a Cuban newspaper on the side. Two thumbs up for detail Sala'o.


Fanguito

So if you haven't been to Sala'o Cuban Bar and Pescaderia, you have to get in your car and drive there this weekend.  Just think of it as a place where the past meets the present, where Cuba meets Miami, and where Hemingway glances at you by the door and beckons you to take a seat and relax with a drink just to make other people... a little more interesting. For more information visit their website or call them at 305-642-8989.


No comments:

Post a Comment